Guidelines for ICFC project agentsProject Agreements
Flexibility in Work Plan
Progress and Final Reports
Project Budgets with multiple funders
OverviewICFC partners with other NGOs and individuals in carrying out its international conservation work.
This relationship is not one of a donor or granting organization and recipient group. ICFC is involved in planning, managing and overseeing each project in proportion to our financial contribution to the project relative to that of other funders.
Project AgreementsProject agreements between ICFC and our "Agents" (local partners who carry out the work) include the following components:
- Goal and objectives
- Schedule of reporting (progress reports; final report)
- Schedule of payments (to coincide with reporting schedule)
- Information on project staff
- Work Plan, including time frame for various components
PaymentsWe will notify you when we are about to send a wire payment to you and afterward we will email to you documentation of the wire transfer for your files.
Unless otherwise specified, payment will arrive in your national currency.
Recipients in Brazil must be able to submit the necessary paperwork to your local bank branch within two days of our initiating a wire transfer of funds from Canada. We will therefore confer with you about the timing of wire transfers. Your bank should be aware that the funds will arrive in Brazilian real and should be left in that currency.
Flexibility in Work PlanDuring the course of a project, priorities can shift or the situation can change in regard to carrying out planned activities. ICFC's policy is to remain flexible and adjust work plans as needed to best achieve the project goal. Such changes must be discussed between the agent and ICFC. Please inform ICFC promptly of any developments that make it necessary or desirable to significantly alter the work plan.
Progress and Final ReportsProgress reports are due by the date set out in the agency agreement, but they can be sent a week or two earlier, especially if prompt payment is desired on the scheduled cash transfer dates. They should be emailed to
Progress reports and final reports do not need to be long or take a lot of time to prepare. They should briefly outline:
- work completed
- work included in the workplan that was not completed and an explanation
- any unexpected complications, problems, or personnel changes that have a significant bearing on the project (unless already discussed)
- explanation for any large differences in expenses from original budget (unless already discussed)
- final reports should discuss the outcomes of the project: how the work completed has contributed to achieving project goals, along with any unexpected benefits or adverse outcomes.
Project budgets with multiple fundersWhen there are multiple funders, our policy is to specify on our website and in our publications the percentage of the total project support contributed by ICFC. Therefore, project budgets should be organized in columns for different funders so that we can see where our share is going in relation to the total project funding.
Expense reportsKey points:
- Expense information — how much was spent on what — should be emailed to Laurie at and copied to Tom at ).
- Please clearly indicate the time period covered at the top of all expense reports.
- Please give expenses for the period following your last expense report (rather than for the whole year, for example, when you submitted a report six months earlier).
- It is very helpful, but not required, if you use ICFC's expense categories (see below), plus any additional "other" categories that you like.
- Receipts should be available for us to view at our request.
- With the purchase of any equipment, vehicle, boat, building structure, etc. costing over US$500, please send a photographic image of the item with the expense report (or after purchase).
|7071||Business Development, Hospitality (e.g. visiting officials & donors)|
|7081||Communications Equipment, Radios, GPS, etc.|
|7101||Computer Expenses & Software|
|7111||Meetings & Related Materials|
|7115||Message promotion & Advertising|
|7121||Postage, Courier& Freight|
|7131||Staff Development & Training|
|7161||Insurance, Except Vehicle|
|7213||Special Village Projects/Enterprises|
|7221||General Field Supplies|
|7231||Surveillance and Boundary Enforcement Support|
|7251||Office Supplies & Stationary|
|7261||Subscriptions/Licenses & Local Taxes|
|7271||Transportation & Air Taxi|
|7272||Field Lodging & Meals for Administrators|
|7273||Lodging & Meals|
|7281||Airfare to Field Projects|
|7283||Telephone & Internet|
|7289||Vehicle & Boat Fuel|
|7291||Vehicle Maintenance & Horses|
|7292||Field Vehicle for Administrators|
|7295||Tools & Equipment|
|7297||Capital items, e.g. truck, boat, radios|
|7301||Salaries & Wages|
E-mail CommunicationsIt is very helpful for email "Subject" headers to indicate clearly what the message is about. Examples: "comments on 2nd progress report"; "question on budget item".
AcknowledgmentICFC and our Agent should each acknowledge the other in any publications or promotional materials concerning the project. This includes reports, magazine and newspaper articles, peer-reviewed journal publications, web pages, and press releases.
International Conservation Fund of Canada Copyright © 2009-2013